Ocean Remote Sensing Synergy Summer School in Brest (June 30 to July 4, 2014)
Friday July 4 at 10:30 : Pratical using syntoolweb
how to :
to select a particular product you can click on it on the map or in the timeline and you can play on its transparency with the keyword ( P and M keys)
- select MSS MERIS products only (unselect MSS MODIS and SST MODIS)
- zoom to find an oil spill at location around Lon -79.1 / Lat 31.0
- add MSS MODIS products and play with transparency to see the oil spill on MERIS and MODIS.
- Press Shift+T then click on « transect »
- Draw a line between two consecutive obervations of the same oil spill holding the Ctrl key to measure the distance.
- Find the sensing time difference between measurements in the short timeline.
- Estimate the surface current velocity in the Gulf Stream
- Alternatively you can click on the « extract » button, draw a bounding box while holding the Ctrl key and then click on the star over the zoom control to download all layers within the bounding box and analyse them in external image processing software.
- click on the map to select the first layer
- play with P and M keys to switch from MODIS Terra to MODIS Aqua
- identify small eddy near Lon -78.6 Lat 31.3 (it is colder so you can look MODIS SST to help identify it)
- estimate distance between eddy position on Terra and Aqua using transect tool
- estimate eddy transport velocity using sensing time difference from the timeline
- locate front visible both in SAR roughness and STT gradients by playing with transparency
- estimate distance between front on SAR and SST
- Estimate surface current using the sensing time difference from the timeline.
- detect a large eddy (boundary visible on SAR roughness and velocity visible on SAR Doppler shift). Center near Lon 24 Lat -42
- find the path of the Agulhas current and return current